Saturday, 15 December 2012

CORONATION STREET TO FEATURE THE “SILENT KILLER” IN DRAMATIC CHRISTMAS STORYLINE

Coronation Street is to feature a dramatic carbon monoxide poisoning storyline involving two of the cast’s most popular characters. The Heating Helpline welcomes that this high profile TV coverage will serve as a warning about the dangers of ‘DIY’ gas work and how this can lead to deadly carbon monoxide poisoning – the ‘silent killer’.

Coronation Street, the UK’s most popular “soap” that regularly attracts over 10 million viewers, will feature a dramatic carbon monoxide storyline that will break over the Christmas period. Fiz Brown, the character, played by actress Jennie McAlpine, will be left fighting for her life after Tyrone, played by Alan Halsall, fixes her boiler but does not do the job properly.
The show’s producers have said it is one of their biggest and most important storylines in a very long time and ITV consulted with the Gas Safe Register for expert advice on this controversial plot.
 
It is said that the drama could also see Tyrone facing prosecution for unlawfully trying to fix Fiz’s boiler – in a bid to raise awareness of the dangers of having such work carried out by those who are not qualified to do so.
 
Blane Judd, Chief Executive of B&ES who operate the free consumer advice service the Heating Helpline, comments, “We are very pleased that such a high profile and popular TV programme will feature a storyline warning of the dangers of CO poisoning and, more importantly, the key message that only qualified, registered gas installers should attempt any work on gas appliances.
 
“According to research undertaken by the Gas Safe Register, one in three people say they would fit a gas appliance themselves to save money; this is an extremely disconcerting research finding. DIY gas work may save money but at what potential cost – your family's life?
 
"We strongly advise that homeowners never attempt any work on gas appliances in their home – never attempt to install, repair or move appliances such as a gas boiler or cooker. Unsafe gas work can lead to a gas leak, fire, explosion and exposure to carbon monoxide – the silent and lethal killer.
 
“It is a legal requirement that any work on gas appliances must be undertaken by a Gas Safe Registered business and non-registered installers are breaking the law, so our advice to home owners is don’t put lives at risk – always use a Gas Safe Registered business”.
 
The Heating Helpline (http://www.heatinghelpline.org.uk) provides essential information on where homeowners can find a local, reputable installer, how to employ them, how to get the best from them and what to do in the unlikely event that things do go wrong. On the website homeowners can put in their postcode and it will produce a list of reputable, Gas Safe Registered installers in their chosen area. Go to the Heating Helpline website: http://www.heatinghelpline.org.uk or call them on 0800 840 4069.

No comments: