Bromsgrove charity NewStarts, which provides practical support to homeless people and those in financial crisis, has secured its long term future — thanks to a combined loan from Charity Bank and Big Issue Invest which has enabled the organisation to buy its premises.
It’s great to see ethical funders working together in a way that maximises both their impact and what they are able to do for the organisations that most need their finance.
Established in 2005 as a result of a partnership between a local resident and NewSong Community Church in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, NewStarts provides a range of services for those most in need — including training and work experience, debt counselling, a food bank, and a furniture and household goods recycling service.
With its premises now secure, NewStarts will be able to continue to provide these essential services. In 2014/15 it directly supported 1,044 people in the following ways:
- 430 households received free household items.
- 332 households were provided with emergency food.
- 105 volunteers were given work experience.
- 41 people had training across a variety of courses (woodwork, basic IT and arts and crafts).
- 136 people received financial management training and debt advice.